Saturday, December 29, 2007

Korea Loves Jason Behr (and JB loves Korea)

While visiting my family in West Lafayette, Indiana for Christmas I found myself at a local bar around Purdue University and wound up being introduced to a table of students originally from South Korea.  Naturally, as part of our grassroots publicity campaign, I told them about FROST, at which point the table erupted in cheers of "Jason Behr! D-War! Jason Behr Supercool!".  This is because Jason recently starred in a film (D-WAR) which rocked the South Korean box office like a goddamn hurricane.  I had heard rumors of this, but had not seen it first hand until this past week.  I texted Jason who, being the gentlemen that he is, promptly texted a message of "Kumbai!" (the customary Korean toast)  back to our new friends.  The Koreans raised their glasses to Mr. Behr and shouted "Kumbai!" into the night.  I can only guess what Mr. Behr was doing at that exact moment in Los Angeles, but if I had to lay money on it, I would venture to say he was raising a frosty Singha, the Lion of Asia, Thailand's finest, the official beer of FROST, available, by Royal Permission at most fine establishments.

Speaking of toasts, this is perhaps a good time to say a few words about our Assistant Director, Atilla Yucer, the Turkish Prince, an elegant man if there ever was one.  Late one night after a long day of shooting, the Prince taught Steve, Jason and myself the cheer of his homeland over a shared magnum of Krug, the official champagne of FROST.   The word is Turkish is "sherefat" (sp?) which translates quite literally to: Integrity.  

So if you happen upon a handful of gentlemen, stumbling through the snow in Park City, raising bottles of Singha and shouting "Integrity!" up at the mountains, there's a good chance it's us. And if it's not us, we'd like to meet them.

Happy Holidays.

--thomas

No comments: